Friday, April 22, 2016

Beautiful Butterflies Tree Stump ~ Red Rubber Designs DT

     Happy Earth Day! I'm always saving items that would normally be thrown away for future projects, and decided to finally transform one of the many almond cans that I've been hoarding. So I used some mixed media to create a tree stump with these Beautiful Butterflies that I stamped from Red Rubber Designs!



       I started by covering the whole can with a light coat of gesso, including the lid. If you want to be able to take the lid on and off, I suggest you leave the top lip of the can alone, as I did NOT and had a hard time putting it back on again. :( Once dry I applied another coat with the Tim Holtz Woodgrain stencil just around the can. Then I sprayed it with various browns, sprinkled on some Lindy's Stamp Gang Magicals (Greased Lightnin' Green and Sandra Dee Sepia), and lightly covered it with some Distress Embossing Powders (Shabby Shutters and Brushed Corduroy) to mimic moss and dirt. Here's a closer look at the front!




     When I applied my second coat of gesso to the lid, I placed some twigs and these delicate fern leaves that my Mom collected for me YEARS ago, from the woods in her own backyard when she lived in Truckee, CA.  Thanks Mom! Then I used the same techniques that I did on the stump, but added more of the greens. I love the natural texture and almost didn't want to cover it up with the butterfly. Lol!




     But I did, embossing all of the butterflies in black onto white cardstock, and coloring them with Distress Inks. Then I applied some Wink of Stella for a light sparkle. Here's a view of the back.



I hope I've inspired you today to recycle and celebrate our beautiful Earth! 

***************************************

Challenges:


(Recycled an almond can)








15 comments:

  1. Drea, I love your can turned tree stump! A big high five from one tree stump making girl to another! I think your bark turned out amazing--it looks so real, and your butterflies are a delight!

    Thank you for joining our Earth Day challenge at Anything But Cute. Hugs! Sara Emily DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorrrrrgous! Your tree stump upcycle is beautiful and the bark texture is out of this world awesome sauce! Those butterflies are delightful and so very elegant. Wowzers! Lucky you to have a mother that gave you those fantabulous leafs. Good tip about the lid as well. Your attention to details is superb!

    Thanks for joining our "Earth Day" challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugz! ~Niki DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Drea!
    I am so impressed that I'm not sure where to start!! Your tin to tree stump is completely inspired!! I love the effect of the wood grain stencil and sprays on the tin. The butterflies are the perfect companions for your project. It carries me away to a mystical fairie forest. Totally inspiring!! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful work with us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just HAD to leave a comment on this project, too, since it is MIND-BLOWING! I am totally loving the wood effect that you have going on and how the butterflies are dimensional and look like they are flitting around gracefully. I'm sounding cheesy, I'm sure, but this is almost magical-looking...like I expect a fairy to pop up out of it or something. Really stunning piece and thanks again for your support and willingness to share with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An almond can - no way. What a fabulous transformation. The butterflies are coloured beautifully and look like they are ready to fly away from your faux tree stump. Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really is special! A fabulous transformation! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant recycle! The wood effect looks real. It's such a beautiful and delicate box. Really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a fantastic transformation! Your butterflies are to die for! Absolutely stunning project! Thank you for joining us at Stamps and Stencils and Anything But Cute this month! Branka DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. butterflies looks like alive!!!! Thank you for taking part in Scrap Africa challenge

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is sooooo magical and beautiful...simply love it! Fabulous project! ;-) Thanks so much for playing along with us at Scrap Africa! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love butterflies and youvdid an awesome work here! Thank you for playing with us at Scrap Africa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am loving the transformation, it look so real great job and thank you for joining us at Scrap africa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful project!!!! Thank you for joining us @Scrap Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is beautiful ... I love what you have done - great upcycling! Thanks for joining us at stamps and stencils. Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh WOWZERS! This is an incredible transformation! Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete